Since When Is It Okay

To make fun of someone’s child?

I’ll admit, Sarah Palin is most definitely not a favorite person of mine, but that doesn’t mean I would insult one of her kids on national TV…

You know, like how Wayne Brady did during the roast of Roseanne a few days ago on Comedy Central….

He said to Jeff Ross, “Now the thing is Jeff … these are all jokes, and I really like you. I really, really like you. But a lot of people hate you, especially Sarah Palin because you remind her of what Trig is going to look like when he’s 40.”

Okay, obviously the joke is negative towards Down syndrome, but when did it become okay to single out someone’s child?

Where is the line?

When is it ever too much?

How do you convince yourself to it’s okay to publicly ridicule a child?

Any child?

And then let’s throw special needs into the mix…

Wow…what a funny guy…

Making fun of a special needs child that can’t even defend himself-because Trig is only four years old-is one of the most scummy take a cheap shot kind of joke I can think of….and let’s all think of how his mother probably visible recoiled when she heard that statement….tough political persona aside, Sarah is still a mother…

I try really really hard to not be so politically correct all the time, but I just don’t know if I can forgive Wayne Brady for this….

Because it’s never acceptable to make fun of a child…

Down syndrome or not….

Comments

I will admit to not being a very politically correct person. And sometimes I laugh at things that aren’t very pc. I’d probably get a “shame on you” for the latest thing I laughed at that Hubs said to me.

But making fun of a child? Even I draw the line.
    Shell recently posted..Pour Your Heart Out: Not Ready for Summer’s EndMy Profile

• holly says:

we’re like the same person…I laugh a lot at what I shouldn’t, but making fun of a specific child? special needs or not it’s just being a bully and an asshole

2. Jessica says:

Could not agree more. I lost all respect for him after that comment. Does he not have enough talent to come up with jokes that don’t trash people’s children?

3. Jill says:

Wow. I had totally missed that event happening. 0_0

I am sooooooo disappointed in Wayne Brady. I used to think he was hilarious. :(
    Jill recently posted..MIA for too long…My Profile

4. Lena says:

I despise Sarah Palin, but that is so wrong :( Some things are always off limits.

Wow, just wow. So many people and things to make fun of and he picks a kid?? Really, Wayne?? Shame on you.
    Alison recently posted..A Letter – For YouMy Profile

6. Cindy says:

The sad part is he has OODLES of talent. He did not need to go there to be funny. But he did. And worst of all is his response to the booing of the audience. Instead of bowing his head and taking it he told them to f-off. Class Act. At least admit it when you know it was a low blow. You know I never really have had the kind of sense of humor that makes people popular or well liked, which is why I enjoyed the hilarious, family comedy of Whose line is it anyway? All of those guys and gals were so talented. Sucks that Wayne Brady had to Blow it. Pun intended.
    Cindy recently posted..The PlanMy Profile

7. Not funny and not cool

8. I hadn’t heard and this makes me so mad! I am thinking all sorts of words that I don’t normally say, which is okay, because I know you’ve said them already. This is just a line you DO.NOT.CROSS!!!

In a way, this breaks my heart, because I’ve been seeing so much positive press lately. I read an article the other day about a little girl with Down Syndrome getting a modeling contract. It always makes me think of Brooke, because by sharing your story with us, you’ve given me a connection.

You are such an advocate. Good for you for calling him out. Jerk!
    Single Mom in the South recently posted..PYHO: Saying GoodbyeMy Profile

9. Molly says:

I freaking HATE Sarah Palin, but it’s never EVER ok to mock a child or adult with special needs. You do not take pot shots at someone who is not in a position to defend himself, he’s a FREAKING CHILD. And then when he got booed he got all defensive and said something about “ya’ll don’t know the crap people say about me”. Well Wayne Brady, you’re a freaking ADULT who put yourself in the public eye when you became a comedian. Trig is a four year old CHILD.

JERK!
    Molly recently posted..“Bringing Them Home: Why International Adoption?”My Profile

That’s just awful…and definitely not ok. Shame on him.
    Tiffany recently posted..To My Teenage SelfMy Profile

11. Galit Breen says:

It’s not.

It’s not *ever* okay.

By the way, I don’t see this as you not being politically correct, I see this is as you speaking up and being an advocate and being right.

Ugh, just ugh. Damn bullies.
    Galit Breen recently posted..Memories Captured August Linky!My Profile

• holly says:

I didn’t look at it so much as bullying until I read this…and you’re so right Galit….just because it’s not face to face it still is…what a jerk wad

12. Lori A. says:

I am really sad to hear that. I’ve always been a huge fan of his. Not so much now. :(

13. There seems to be a lot of jokes and negative comments aimed at children/people with special needs circulating the media lately by actors or politicians. This is a cowardly act and I feel sorry for them. They must really have no self esteem or morals to feel the need to attack basically people that are not the typical. But you reap what you sow and Karma is a Bitch!

14. It is so wrong to make fun of a child whether they are special needs or not.
    Heather’s Happenings recently posted..That’s My Boy #WWMy Profile

15. I’m often amazed at what society thinks is still ok to mock, like being overweight. But I’m glad to know that I’m not at all alone in thinking that it’s astonishingly inappropriate and cruel to mock a particular child or a group of child with a disability. Un-freaking-believable.
    Jessica@Team Rasler recently posted..SnapshotsMy Profile

16. Just Me says:

I missed that one and I’m glad I did. WOW! That’s an all new low, even for Hollywood! And as a mom of a special needs child, it cuts straight to the bone. My biggest fear/worry in life is how cruel people, even adults can be to special needs kids.
    Just Me recently posted..I Wish I Knew What to SayMy Profile

Ugh. What an ass. He’s displaying his ignorance here in a major way. I’m not a Palin fan, but for God’s sake, the appropriate joke would be something feeling sorry for poor Trig (and whatsername (Bristol?) who is a pro teen mama now) for having Sarah for a Mom if you wanted to make a parenting stab. (I’m not fond of this kind of humor anyway, but if you were going that direction, that’s about the only way you could make it palatable.)
    Jester Queen recently posted..Old man cactusMy Profile

18. JDT says:

I did not know until today while reading blogs that he made such a comment. It is never ok to mock others especially a child. I have lost so much respect for him- what a disappointment.

19. stacy says:

:( horrible

20. I completely agree!!
    stephanie @ babe’s rockin’ mami recently posted..Mom and BabeMy Profile

21. Danielle says:

What a load of shite! Totally crossed the line, thereby proving that he is best when someone else is writing his jokes!

22. Adrienne says:

I don’t think it’s ever ok!
    Adrienne recently posted..Jesus, Tacos, and Toilets!My Profile

23. Tania says:

Making fun of a child is just not really funny at all…
    Tania recently posted..A little lessonMy Profile

24. Mark says:

It could have been okay if he would pull out random jokes but it was so immature to even involve the kid. Whatever Sarah may have done to others, she was still a mom and it hurts her when it’s her kid who’s being attacked. One should know his limitations.