Let Them Eat Cake

When I say them, I really mean Brooke…but I thought that was a snazzy title…

So we finally got around to celebrating Brooke’s first birthday this past Sunday. Yeah, it was ten days after her actual birthday, but Eric’s been catering like nuts, and really? She’s one. She has no idea. I admit, I did think about doing a big shebang because she’s so precious and we’re so grateful to have her with us after everything she’s gone through…but then I thought, she’s one. The big party and excess would really be for me, and all that money on a party for someone who poops in her pants…really? When mama could use that money for some new camera equipment I don’t know how to use? Or maybe a new bag? So I rethought the big party idea and instead invited just the family over for pizza and cake…cuz that’s how I roll….

And everyone knows the only reason a one year old even has a party is to watch that child smash in the cake! I was soooo excited for this part! All of my other kids had made huge messes and gotten the cake everywhere, so adorable! So I ordered a super cute cake from the supermarket and anxiously awaited for dessert…because I just knew that Brooke was going to be one hot mess! Who doesn’t love cake? Especially one of my kids!? Because isn’t the love of all things flour, sugar, and vanilla hereditary?

Guess what? Brooke does not love cake.

Brooke loathes cake.

Brooke wants nothing to do with the cake.

Brooke wants a nap.

You know what? I was pissed. I really was, I’ll admit it. I wanted that child to dive into her cake, I wanted cake smeared in hair, I wanted it flung onto the walls. Selfish of me? Perhaps. And a part of me knew that wouldn’t happen anyway, which is probably why I was even more angry. Brooke’s big issue is her lack of interest in table food, she’s a great eater, but mostly stage 3 baby food. Her low tone is in her jaw, and so chewing is a lot of work for her, and when this babe is hungry, she doesn’t want to have to work for it. Hell, she doesn’t want to have to work for it when she’s not hungry. So am I surprised the cake wasn‘t her cup of tea? No. But I was majorly disappointed. I so wanted her to prove me wrong. Like maybe she doesn’t want to chew chicken or peas, but cake! Hell yeah! Bring it on!

And so when Brooke woke up we tried again. Better results, but still no big smoosh of cake happening.

But she tasted it…

And I daresay she liked it…or at least didn’t mind it…

And for now that’s going to have to be enough for me…I just hope this is one of those developmental delay issues and not a cake hating issue…because she will have a Happy Heart Day cake in May. And if that doesn’t go over well, we’ll do a Fourth of July cake, then a Labor Day cake. Because I will have my baby smash a cake…even if that means I have to get her a cake every holiday for the next five years…

So Happy Birthday Brooke….I love you…

Comments

1. Bella @ If This is Motherhood says:

Aww! She is just adorable. I don't go crazy for the first birthday either. Actually, we don't start going all out until about 3 years old.

2. Bella @ If This is Motherhood says:

Oh yeah! Happy Birthday Brooke!

3. Making It Work Mom says:

Oh my god. I love the crying cake pictures. Too much. I say keep giving it to her until she likes it. Isn't that what they say about things like carrots and spinach and tuna noodle casserole.

4. Deanna says:

OK, the crying pictures were too adorable. I'm still chuckling over them…so cute! Addison will eat her birthday cake on Sat….nervous about how it will go.

5. Katertot says:

The story told in those pictures is truly priceless!!!!

6. Jenny says:

Oh man, those were GREAT pictures, I laughed my butt off!!

7. TINA says:

i totally laughed out loud when i saw her little crying face! well, that sounded awful, but you know what i mean- she cant possibly loath cakes, right? i mean, cakes are the best part of the 4 food groups (my own personal 4). Happy
    birthday brooke- your gorgous.

8. TINA says:

birthday brooke- your gorgous.

9. "Doctor" S.M., PhD in Blogging says:

Have I told you that you're pretty much my most favorite blogger on the entire internet?

…seriously!! "I just hope this is one of those developmental delay issues and not a cake hating issue…"

-snort-

You kill me.

10. The BabbyMama says:

The Babby did NOT dive into her first birthday cake. In fact, she actively avoided it. Would not take a single bite, even when cut up for her. I'm hoping that her upcoming second birthday party – which will be celebrated almost two weeks after the actual date – will see her eating at least a tiny bite of cake. Seriously, though, this child is not a cake lover. She will tear into some romaine lettuce. A cookie is grand, too. But cake? No thanks!

11. Semi-Slacker Mom says:

Oh, that one with her smiling with cake all over her face…I could just eat her up!!! I'm glad she participated at least a little.

For Sassy's 1st, she wasn't into it at all…so I smushed her face into it. Oops.

12. myevil3yearold says:

Or, President's day cake! No day is bad for a cake day!

13. Tracy says:

OhMyGosh! I'm so happy you posted the smiling pictures! The crying sad Brooke pictures had me wanting to bake a cake to cry into. She's such a dolly Holly!

So, Valentine's cake, St Patricks cake, Easter cake, Heart Day cake…what ever it takes!

14. Dysfunctional Mom says:

I love that last picture, it's like "ok, ok, you got me. This stuff is GOOD!"
    Happy Birthday to Brooke!

15. Julie M. says:

That is definitely the most important part of the first birthday! I think (don't tell anyone) I might have even, gently mind you, aided said smashing with my first in the name of a memorable picture. Happy birthday to Brooke, one is a big birthday!

thanks so much for taking the time to stop by yesterday and leave such a thoughtful comment. I hope you have an enjoyable rest of the week!

16. Mommy says:

haha oh those crying pictures are so cute i think they trump out cake smash pictures anyway!

17. Morgan says:

Love the crying pics … and your comments – so great! What a cutie … and so glad she warmed up to the idea after nap time!

18. Anne and Whitney: Up, Down and All Around says:

happy belated first birthday, brooke :)